Collaborative Property Management: Join A Better Way To Work.

1. A copy of the Government’s ‘How to rent’ checklist.

Certificate 1 – To start with there is some super handy info on the government website. It’s a Government checklist that runs through the process of renting, what landlords and lettings agents must provide their tenants with it by law. The link to the Government website here. or just download the document here.

2. A gas safety certificate

Certificate 2 – It’s the number one certificate you need to make sure you have or you get sorted. On Tenancy Stream it’s super easy to set up a reminder for carrying out gas certificates, you need all and any gas appliances checked, like an oven or hub, it has to be check by a safety engineer every 12 months and the certificate must be given to the tenant.

Fail to do this and you can be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) where penalties can range from a fine to imprisonment.

Cost of gas safety certificate
Gas certificate cost

3. Details of the Deposit Protection Scheme

Certificate 3 – rental homes in England and Wales that are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) basis, legally require you to hold your tenant’s deposit in a Government-backed Tenancy Deposit scheme.

You’ll need to supply your tenant with the certificate for this within 30 days, this is a non negotiable.

A Tenancy Deposit Scheme is an independent third-party scheme designed to offer protection for both landlord and the tenant should there be a dispute at the end of the contract.

There are three providers to choose from – The Deposit Protection Service (DPS), The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) and MyDeposits.

At the end of the tenancy, you will have 10 days to return the deposit.

4. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Certificate 4 – The next document to get ready for tour tenant is the EPC, a certificate which rates the energy-efficiency of your property and sets down estimated energy costs.

All properties receive a rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).

In 2018, new regulations were introduced which mean landlords can only let their property if it receives an EPC rating of E or higher.

You can read more about these EPC rules here

Energy performance certificate
Energy performance certificate

5. Relevant contact details

Finally, you are also legally obligated to provide your tenant with your contact details (or those of your lettings agent). This must include your name, address and a telephone number in case of an emergency.

Additional points…

Smoke alarms must be fitted on each floor, while carbon monoxide alarms are mandatory in rooms with appliances using solid fuel (e.g. coal and wood).

You should also provide a record of any electrical inspections. All appliances must be deemed safe and checks are recommended every five years.